RARA-AVIS: Re: Symbols in "Good Work."

From: vagrantpacific ( pacificvagrant@gmail.com)
Date: 26 Mar 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Bludis Jack <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

> Maybe "good" writers plant symbols in good writing, but I
> often find symbols in my own work that are absolutely
> unplanned. After I recognize them, I may embellish them.
> I have never planned a symbol, but I have often recognized
> them in my own work.

- I agree with you Jack. When I started writing dark crime I used to really stress over planting symbols and the book/screenplay's deep, heavier meaning. The result was flat and forced. Now I focus on character over everything else. What's amazing to me is that by the fourth pass on a particular project, I start to see all these symbols and connections which I then pump up. Where did they come from? Who knows, but I'm always happy to see them.

-adam