Re: RARA-AVIS: Leonard's City Primeval

From: vagrantpacific ( pacificvagrant@gmail.com)
Date: 26 Mar 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, BaxDeal@... wrote:

> City Primeval is one of Leonard's best. I'd suggest Swag, which he wrote in
> between 52 Pick-up and Primeval as perhaps his finest, as well as the follow
> up a few years later- Stick. Cat Chaser is also outstanding. all written
> when Dutch was in his prime

Yeah, I totally agree. Cat Chaser is amazing (btw, the movie by Abel Ferra is my favorite adaptation -- really captures the language without making it all cute). He gets so into the character of the protagonist, and uses crime, not as a way to sensationalize, but to further explore these people he's created. I just read Swag which also blew me away, especially the party scene. Leonard proves again that you can do gritty realism without sacrificing humor or thrills. Riding The Rap is my favorite of the newerish ones: impressive minimalist writing.

-adam