Re: RARA-AVIS: The Road -- as allegory

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Mar 2007

Jack wrote:

The boy as Christ? I don't see it.

************* It's always a personal call. One parallel is probably not enough, but when the similarities start stacking up, the chance that it's coincidence drops off. No problem either way, of course. One of the reasons I see it is because I'm looking for it.

God, angels, hell, and other religious motifs abound, so that's a hint. The father and son meet an old man on the road. He claims his name is Ely. Among other things, Elijah was the prophet of the coming of Christ. A page or two later the old man states:
"There is no god and we are his prophets." The boy ponders out loud the concept of God as flesh when he sees a child and questions: "What if I said that he's a god?" For those looking for a Christ-symbol in the boy, McCarthy loads the text with the not-so-subtle:
"I am the one." "One" is not capitalized, so I guess he's not being too blatant about it. Nevertheless, I think McCarthy chuckled when he wrote it.

miker

(and love to hate): Yahoo! TV's Guilty Pleasures list. http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265