RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Quick Ken Bruen Questions

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 23 Mar 2007

> Bruen's Jack Taylor series, is IMHO of a better sort.
> Read the first one first (The Guards), and after this the order is
of secondary importance. "The Guards" is a real gripping novel, noir, tough and full of ambiguity: an excellent read. Not as atypical as R&B, but reaching deeper layers; humor is also of another kind here: noir irony and cynicism, not caricatures and pure black humor as in the White Trilogy.

The order does matter later on--The Dramatist, Priest and Cross all build on each other, and really should be read in order.

I agree with your assessment of The Guards (along with the other Jack Taylor books). Thematically, these are much richer than most of what's being published in the crime genre today.

--Dave Z.