Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Has anyone changed noir writing (lately)?

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 20 Mar 2007

At 02:05 PM 20/03/2007, JIM DOHERTY wrote:

>If all it takes to evoke the "post-modernism" spectre
>is to make some pop culture reference, then Jane
>Austen, decades before the crime story crystallized
>into a separate, distinct literary genre, is being
>post-modern when she hs her characters in MANSFIELD
>PARK prepare a private performance of a then-popular
>stage play, LOVER'S VOWS.
>
>Really, though, all she was doing was using a familiar
>touchstone that her readers would be familiar with in
>order to serve the needs of the story she was telling.

I agree, and I think I said that it is the use of many, many POP references in one book that might be part of creating a post-modern hyper reality. Post-modern isn't so much a coherent philosophy or point of view, as a number of responses to modernism, as I understand it. But you don't care, so why go to such efforts to reinforce this point? Perhaps you're po-mo yourself and just never checked your shorts?

>People want to get the shorts twisted over
>structuralism and decontruction and God knows what
>all, it's nothing off me. I'll just go on, in my
>plebian, non-intellectual way, enjoying the books,
>music, and movies I like for reasons that have nothing
>to do with any of that stuff, and which, in my view,
>are profoundly more important than any of that stuff.

That you enjoy the books without worrying about post-modernism etc. is fine by me. I like to read that way too, and I expect most of us do. But if someone likes to analyze from the point of view of a particular philosophy, I'm cool with that too. It can be fun. I don't know that one is more important, profoundly or otherwise, than another (except to the reader, of course.)

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com