RARA-AVIS: Po-mo

From: juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi
Date: 19 Mar 2007

David D:

"I got so tired of defending popular fiction from academic snobbery in grad school that it is a little disheartening to have to defend important academic work from anti-intellectual snobbery here at RARA AVIS, where I nonetheless still feel more at home than in the university."

As someone who's both leftist and out of the academy, I simply couldn't agree more. I've met lots of academic snobbery and I don't like it, but I hate non- academic, non-intellectual snobbery even more.

(And I know this is quite off-topic. As for the new voices guiding noir fiction, I'd say it's James Ellroy, no matter what we think of his books as a whole: they brought new themes into noir and hardboiled fiction that hadn't been dealt before. And he wrote in a new way, even though I remember someone saying that he sounds like a drunken Jack Webb. The actor.)

Juri