Re: RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 17 Mar 2007

Patrick:

"I don't think I've ever read anything that completely reversed the entire view of the story in the last third of the book. I really thought it was brilliant. To set up a character as a protagonist, and then turn him into the focus of the problem. I think it approaches 'great literature.' Can't really think who it's derivitive of, can you?"

I haven't read Shutter Island, so I can't say whether of not it is derivative, but there is certainly precedence for a seeming protagonist turning out to be the antagonist, a seemingly reliable narrator turning out to be very much the opposite. For instance, I can think of at least two private eye books, one vintage, one pretty recent, in which the PI is investigating a crime or series of crimes he had committed, trying to cover them up and/or frame a fall guy. I'd been wanting to bring this up here, ask about others, but couldn't think of a way to discuss them without spoiling them. How do I ask for books in which the narrator turns out the be the bad guy without knowing whodunnit? Would kind of kill the suspense.

"I think Lehane may be the most under-rated writer of the present day."

Lehane underrated? How do you figure? He sells well and gets rave reviews -- the cover of my paperback copy of Mystic River, for instance, proclaims it was a New York Times Bestseller (and this was before the movie, which probably led to even more sales); inside are five pages filled with excerpts of raves from most of the respected book reviews. I'm sure many authors wish they were so underrated.

Mark