Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Mar 2007

Strange. I loved Mystic River. I thought the whole thing about how victims of child abuse become outcasts in society based on people's inability to know what to say to them, was especially thought provoking. I grew up in these areas of Boston a little before these characters, so perhaps the book just spoke very directly to me. I did figure what the solution to the problem was less than half way through the book and was a little disappointed when I proved to be correct, but I certainly enjoy Lehane's prose style and the story. What did you think it was similar to? I haven't read a book that explores the three problems child abuse, the unsuccessful attempt of a violent criminal not to resort to instinct in dealing with infuriating violence perpetrated on his family, and children committing murder for self-preservation. I thought it was pretty original. If you know the metro Boston area in the mid 20th century, Lehane captures it as well as Doyle captured Victorian London, or Chandler captures WWII era LA. I think he has a great career ahead.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Need Mail bonding? Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396546091