RE : Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2007

SPOILER ON SHUTTER ISLAND!!!!

I find the whole premise of the book "cheating" since there's no way any prison hospital would give a dangerous inmate free reign, and create the scenario that was given, and I did find other smaller cheating, such as his convenient psychotic episodes imagining a woman inmate, and there were others. That said, none of this cheating and utter preposterousness of the story would've bothered me if this were a Stephen King book. Maybe even that innanely hokey rules of nine, or whatever that code was, wouldn't have bothered me
(nah, I still owuld've found it too precious and it still would've bugged the hell out of me). That was kind of my point in that its all readers expectation--if I was expecting a horror novel, I probably would've enjoyed Shutter Island. Expecting a crime or noir novel, I was disappointed and felt cheated. All that being said--I did find this Lehane's best novel, and it's not Lehane's fault how the book was marketed, reviewed (as a crime novel--at least by the reviews I read), or the expectations I ended up having. And in a way, I'm guilty of the same--I intentionally set up Fast Lane for the reader to think it's a PI novel, which it isn't by any means, and I'm sure some readers were equally annoyed once they figured what the book really was.

--Dave Z.