Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 14 Mar 2007

I'd have to put Denise Mina's Garnethill in this category. I guess it could be categorized as an amateur detective novel, but the voice of the amateur detective is novel, that of a traumatized survivor of incest. This gives her an interesting new perspective as she and her friend investigate a crime she claims she is being framed for.

And I guess that's where innovation comes, with new voices (Motherless Brooklyn?). The basic concerns don't much change -- crime and its aftemath (sometimes also the planning) -- but who tells it and how it is told can change the form. Wasn't that hardoiled's revolution, that of perspective?

Mark