RARA-AVIS: Re: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 14 Mar 2007

In terms of innovation of noir, I'm going to put a new name forward (and I don't expect many to agree with me). Liza Cody. Specifically for her three BUCKET NUT books. These books can be seen as funny and even quite light, but the character she created there is huge (in all senses) and, for me, noir. Cody brings the genre up to date, setting the stories in an unusual but everyday setting and introducing a very relevant modern theme. Eva Wylie's problem is that she cannot fit in - with people around her or with modern society in general. This will always be her downfall... but in some ways she's right.

There's nothing retro noir about these books, only fresh ideas and a fresh voice. I guess the only debate is whether or not it's noir. I say it is.

Charlie Williams.

---------- charliewilliams.net