Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 13 Mar 2007

How do you define "Classic Noir"?

When does it stop being "Classic" and start being "contemporary"? Megan Abbott's THE SONG IS YOU is told from different POVs (with one predominating) but it's set in LA of the early 1950s. "Classic" or "contemporary"? She published it this year.

I think it's possible to get carried away with labels.

As for "depth of character" in "classic noir", if you're talking about Hammett and Chandler, I think you are dead wrong in your assertion that they scrimp on character examination. And then there's Ross MacDonald: deep, deep, DEEP characters. Or, because he's a little later, does his work not fall under the header of "classic noir"?

Brian