Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 13 Mar 2007

How about the *incredible* (in the truest sense of the word) that the guy who was kidnapped/molested as a child just *happens* across a child molester, has a psychotic episode and KILLS him in a fit of flash-back fury ON THE VERY SAME NIGHT that the daughter of one of his boyhood friends, one of the boys who escaped being kidnapped and raped, is murdered herself?

PLEASE.

Lehane is a great writer, but I couldn't get past this massive coincidence.

For my money, the finest contemporary crime novel out there is either KISS HER GOODBYE, by Al Guthrie, THE GUARDS, by Bruen, or CITIZEN VINCE by Jess Walter.

All the Best-

Brian