Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 13 Mar 2007

I really have very little to add to what Colin had to say about Jack O'Connell, but I won't let that entirely stop me.

The series doesn't have a continuing protagonist, but a continuing setting, Quinsigamond, a factory town that has been allowed to decay
(kind of for that reason, I think Fincher might be a better director for him than Lynch, since the latter seems most at home in Small Towns -- if only Fritz Lang were still alive). This world is fully realized and most decidedly a character. Each of the four books revolves around a theme dealing with communication -- language, radio, film, comics -- as it exists in the city. This makes the books seem kind of dry and philosophical (and they do have those elements), but the plot and characters are fascinating. As you can see, I'm having trouble describing these books, but O'Connell's is a unique voice worth getting to know. I've been impatiently waiting for another books from him. Hope he's working on one.

As for influencing others, I'm only aware of one book that clearly seems to follow him, New York Graphic, by Adam Lloyd Baker. It's got it's moments, but is nowhere near the level of O'Connell.

Mark