Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 13 Mar 2007

Jason:

"Hmm, re Elmore Leonard, I don't see how he can't be considered a major innovator. I actually see him as THE major innovator of the past thirty years."

But don't you think that's past tense, emphasis on the first half of that thirty years? The way I see it, when other writers are compared to him in blurbs -- "the new Elmore Leonard" -- and we think of a Leonard-type book, he has become part of the academy. Certainly, he has been influential, and continues to be, but he is no longer innovating, but continuing to practicing his craft (not using it in a non-art sense).

Mark