Re: RARA-AVIS: Who changed the noir writing ?

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 13 Mar 2007

I'm with you Mario. I read Mystic River after having greatly enjoyed his series books. Not to say it can't be done well, but I'm immediately skeptical of any book that starts with a prologue set decades earlier. So I was quickly on my guard. Still, I was surprised how quickly it read. I enjoyed it well enough while I was reading it, but as it settled in, things started nagging at me. The whodunnit was not that surprising, with some of the red herrings depending upon highly contrived coincidences. As many specific details as the characters were given, they remained far more "types" than individuals. And some of the gimmicks (like the runaway wife's hang-up calls) were gratutitous and annoying. I haven't read another by Lehane since. Still, it was a lot better than the movie, which stripped it to its contrivances and cliches and (unlike most Eastwood-directed movies) allowed its stars to chew the scenery, especially Award winner Sean Penn -- Bill Murray got robbed that year.

Mark