RARA-AVIS: Slightly OT: Ingmar Bergman Noir?

From: GERLACH, Steve ( steve.gerlach@sma.com.au)
Date: 13 Mar 2007

Anyone got a view on Ingmar Bergman being a great Noir film director?

Amazon says (regarding a recently released collection): Before The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries established him as one of the great masters of cinema, Ingmar Bergman created a series of less well known, devastating psychological character studies, marked by intricate, layered narratives, gritty environments, and haunting visuals. These early films, which show the stirrings of the genius to come, remain the hidden treasures of a European cinema on the cusp of a golden age. The films are Torment / Crisis / Port of Call / Thirst / To Joy and I'm wondering if I should pick them up. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Steve