Re: RARA-AVIS: Question about Ross MacDonald's works

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 13 Mar 2007

Mark,

Your point about Archer not really being personally involved in his own books raises an interesting point of comparison between MacDonald's Archer and non-Archer books. I finished "The Ferguson Affair" not too long ago and the main character, William Gunnarson, was very much personally invested in the outcome of the story. MacDonald actually delved quite a bit into Gunnarson's personal life, including his marriage and impending fatherhood. Although I mentioned in my previous e-mail that MacDonald's non-Archer books are in alot of ways similar to his Archer stories, here is at least one point of notable departure.

Not having done a lot of reading on MacDonald himself (his biography by Tom Nolan is sitting on my to read shelf at the moment) I would be curious if anyone has any thoughts as to what may have motivated MacDonald to make this particular change.

Cheers, Harry

Quoting DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net: