RARA-AVIS: Re: Lucky at Cards

From: bobav1 ( rav7@COLUMBIA.EDU)
Date: 05 Mar 2007

Mark:

> Could it be The Sex Shuffle by Sheldon Lord, published by Beacon?

Yes.

If so, it's confirmation that Sheldon Lord was indeed a
> Block pseudonym. Has he ever actually confirmed that?

I had a couple very uncomfortable conversations at book signings with Block, so I don't bother him anymore. Given that he's allowed Jill Emerson and Andrew Shaw books to come out under his own name, and now a Sheldon Lord, I think it's safe to say that he's confirmed that he wrote some books under those names (and house names). I did get him and Westlake to sign A Girl Called Honey (early published by Midwood), since the authors Alan Marshall and Sheldon Lord dedicated the book to Block and Westlake. That's probably the jewel of my paperback collection, aside from a unopened copy of Black Wings I got for $10.

Bob V in NYC