RARA-AVIS: Jack B. on Sheldon

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 04 Mar 2007

Jack Bludis:

> As a reader, I prefer story. I read Robert B. Parker,
> Stuart Woods, and the late Sidney Shelton

I've been recently reading Sidney Sheldon - I'm writing an entry about him for a reference book -, but found him largely unreadable. Very thin and stereotypic character descriptions, very little actual plot, almost all of the books I read were only flashbacks on several characters and I lost interest in the actual story quite early on. His suprise twists have been no surprises to me, at least in the books I've read.

I'm now reading his first, THE NAKED FACE, which won the Edgar in 1970, and it seems better. It seems though that Sheldon hated the novel for having sold so few copies.

Juri http://pulpetti.blogspot.com