RARA-AVIS: Re: Orrie Hitt

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 28 Feb 2007

Richard:

> So with a tip of my hat to the memory of my dear late friend Ellen
> Nehr, I must report that Orrie Edwin Hitt (1916-1975) did not
consider
> himself a paperback hack and was quite proud of his writing
career. I
> do appreciate and understand the basis of Juri's opinion.

Ah, it wasn't meant as an opinion. I've never really understood why the word "hack" is viewed as degratory. Maybe it's that I'm a foreigner and don't really grasp the tones of all the words I use.
(And I've never read anything by Orrie Hitt, even though I've been interested in the sleaze genre. There are no Finnish translations, which may be the reason.)

But now I stand corrected. Thank you for very eloquent and interesting post.

Juri