RARA-AVIS: Re: morality & the unreliable narrator

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 26 Feb 2007

> I'd say that you are the one that doesn't get it.
> The
> reason they sympathize with Montressor is that they
> have been taught that morality is simply a personal
> opinion, and that making moral judgements is a
> prejudicial act best avoided. Criminals become
> victims. Terrorist become freedom fighters. By
> spoon-feeding them this thin gruel of postmodern
> pablum, this is the impasse that academia have
> brought
> to education.

Sorry, Miker. This time your blanket statement is dead wrong at birth. I spent as many years driving taxicab at night in San Francisco as I have in academia. I have seen the dark side of the dollar. Trust me; higher ed folks can not be blamed for any queasy morality. Madmen and outlaws, thieves and weirdos rule, and they never need a teacher to dirty-dog weasel. Worse yet, they look like you and me. Maybe more like you. Me, I'm okay. 'K? Don't bite that coin. You don't know where it's been.