RARA-AVIS: Morality

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Feb 2007

Seems to me we have focused far off topic hard-boiled and noir fiction recently, when Rara-Avis might be called "The Morality of Art."

Short opinion of Altman vs. Chandler -- The author sells the rights for the buyer or buyers to do with as they choose under the contract signed. Immorality may come only if the production is immoral in another way, e.g. and often mentioned, child pornography when none was in the original work.

The movies might easily have made child pornography of LOLITA, I understand that they didn't. I read the book. I found it funny, but also sad in many ways. I did not find it pornographic. I chose not to see either version of the movie, so I can't judge what was done with it.

I recall reading that for fear of being tagged a pornographer, Vladimir Nabokov wanted the book to be published anonymously, but his publishers talked him out of it.

Jack Bludis

http://www.jackbludis.com Shamus nominee for *Shadow of the Dahlia* Try "Blondes, Blondes, Blondes" at http://www.ThrillingDetective.com