Re: RARA-AVIS: Moral or Immoral?

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2007

By my reasoning, impositions of povs about aesthetics
(of limited interest, necessarily, incidentally, no matter how well done) are by definition a subset of what I'm talking about. a guy who writes a story about how people read stories is doing a smaller version of the same thing.

But I want to stress again that this is basically missing the point of the exercise. Hammett didn't write THE MALTESE FALCON to tell you the Flitcraft story, though it's a great story and can help you understand parts of what's going on in the book. That's not the *point* of the book, though, the narrative didn't act as a delivery system for that.

If all someone gets out of FALCON is something like
"life is a random, frightening thing, and in that world all a man has to hold onto is his code, however arbitrary", yeah, maybe, I guess. That's in there, or something close to it, anyway.

But somehow I think our imaginary reader missed the point of the experience.

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never Miss an Email Stay connected with Yahoo! Mail on your mobile. Get started! http://mobile.yahoo.com/services?promote=mail