Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2007

The moral ambiguity noted in the early hardboiled stories may owe more to what they were an alternative to, than the specific time they were written. Sherlock Holmes and his successors were completely unscrupulous, in that they had few self doubts about the correctness of their proceedures. Frequently Holmes was omnipotent in terms of capturing and punishing a criminal. Note the solution to A Study In Scarlet. These dectective, Holmes, Poirot, Ellery Queen, etc were smarter than anyone else in the room, their deductions were, however far-fetched, always correct, and if they deemed a crime justified the criminal went free. Hammett and Chandler played in a more realistic field. Their characters made frequent errors in judgement, they dealt with criminals who had serious personality disorders. Spillane, of course, goes into a wild-west mode, shooting people out of hand as a first resort, anything to move the story. But Hammett and Chandler were moving detective fiction closer to reality and I think that's what made them popular and why their school was perceived as "new" at that time.

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ TV dinner still cooling? Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/