Re: RARA-AVIS: Hard-Boiled Series Characters...Looking forRecommendations

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 18 Feb 2007

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

Everyone knows about Hammett and Chandler, even if they've not actually read thier stuff.

Ross MacDonald, supposedly the third of the so-called "Big Three" had a far greater output than either of these two (not to say that he was "better," because he wasn't, but his work was consistently good across the board, and sometimes, as in such masterpieces as THE CHILL, BLACK MONEY, THE GALTON CASE, THE WYCHERLY WOMAN, and the wonderfully named THE ZEBRA-STRIPED HEARSE).

Ross MacDonald. Great call.

Brian