RARA-AVIS: Re: Sports Noir

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2007

Kev,

Re your comment below:

"Alas, the recent one, UNDER ORDERS, isn't quite up to the standards of the other three (all of which I believe won Edgars -- surely some sort of record). Although it does have a few memorable bits, particularly the assault-with- arm-stump scene."

ODDS AGAINST was nominated for Best Novel (his first nomination), but lost to Nicolas Freeling's KING OF THE RAINY COUNTRY. WHIP HAND and COME TO GRIEF both won, and, the year he took the Best Novel Edgar for CTG, he also won the Grand Master award. Though he didn't win for all three, being nominated for every entry in the series WAS a record (he lost that record when UNDER ORDERS failed to get a nomination this year), and being nominated for three entries in a single series is STILL a record.

Francis has also won for the stand-alone FORFEIT, and been nominated for the stand-alones FLYING FINISH and BLOOD SPORT. I think he may have the record for the most Best Novel Edgars, the most consecutive nominations for Best Novel, and the most cumulative nominations for Best Novel.

JIM DOHERTY