RARA-AVIS: Re: THE SILENT PARTNER: after Lankford and Mark/DJ

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Feb 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> TL wrote:
>
> "I'd like to add that THE SILENT PARTNER is another terriffic
> hardboiled/noir Elliot Gould movie. I'm not sure how easy it is to
find,
> but it's worth the quest. It's an early script by Curtis Hansen who
> would go on to co-write the screenplay and direct L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
many
> years later."
>
> Meant to reply to this at the time (don't think I did, if so, sorry
for
> the repeat). Looked it up. It's coming out on DVD in April. A
> terribly underrated film unknown to most. It's modest in its
goals, but
> really achieves them (a trait I'm coming to appreciate more and more
> these days). I was so blown away by it when I saw it during that
mere
> week or two it was out that I gathered up some friends and went
back to
> the the theater the very next night. Hope it holds up.
>
> Oh yeah, it's got a '70s violent scene to rival the coke bottle
scene in
> Long Goodbye.

I, too, can recommend this Canadian suspense film, except, as Mark suggests, for squeamish viewers (it has a couple of Really Ugly scenes, as I recall from the distance of decades, though perhaps the one Mark cites has multiplied in memory), and a better performance by Gould than (even?) his in TLG.

I first saw it in a drive-in (the then and future Kailua Drive-In, on the outskirts of Kailua, HI), as the second feature with THE SHINING, which it rather easily outshone.

Todd Mason