Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:The Long Goodbye

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Feb 2007

Do you think the opinion of Chandler fans in 1973 moved the box office at all? Of course not.

With all due respect, Richard, I WAS a Chandler fan in 1973 and, yes, I do think my opinion was the very one they were playing to when they decided to make the film. Why make a movie based on a book at all if you think there are no people out there who care about the original work? If you're just going to do some obscure story, why not save the money and not buy the film rights? It is more expensive to make a film based on a book, even an old one than it is to do an original work. But, of course, the original work requires more effort and is a bigger gamble. Of course they knew Chandler fans would go to a movie based on Chandler's book. I guess they also thought that Altman was so hot that we'd forgive his completely screwing up the story. They were wrong about that! Both Chandler's work and Bogart's old films were very big items in the culture of the late 60s and early 70s. They've never gone out of style. Take a look at Polanski's much more successful Chinatown. Polanski openly stated he was trying for the Chandler mystique. Unlike Altman, though, Polanski didn't have to pay for the rights!

Patrick King

____________________________________________________________________________________ Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta. http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html