RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Feb 2007

Terrill,

Re your comments below:

> And I believe you are. Sorry Jim, but I think your thinking is very
one dimensional on this subject and your statements seem very clear on the matter. No need to backpeddle now. You think losers are losers. And it's a bad thing.

Beck-pedalling? I'm not back-pedalling at all. I've never back- pedalled. The question isn't what Altman thinks about losers, or what I think about losers, but whether or not Chandler thinks Marlowe's a loser (and he doesn't) and whether or not Altman's depiction of Marlowe as a loser when he isn't is a betrayal (and it is).

>But Altman, thriving in the 60s and 70s, looked at history - and
what was going on in the present - and decided that the winners were not always in the right. And that small victories were occasionally to be enjoyed by the losers - who also would then manage to look themselves in the mirror in the morning because they stayed true to their convictions, no matter what the cost to them personally. It is in this spirit that I believe his version of Marlowe was born.

Fine. That's Altman's view of losers. So what? It's not Chandler's view of Marlowe, and Chandler's view of Marlowe is the version that Altman was obliged to put on the screen, to the best of his ability, and he failed in that obligation. If he felt such hostility and contempt for the kind of character Marlowe was, he shouldn't have made the movie. Which is what I've said all along. So where am I back-pedalling?

> And, as others have said, I don't think he was far from Chandler's
vision.

Marlowe, as portrayed by Gould, certainly was anything but a man fit for adventure, a hero, everything. And by being the antithesis of the kind of protagonist Chandler described, he was about as far from Chandler's vision as a character can get and still be called Philip Marlowe.

> That's an extremely debatable opinion as well.
>
> I don't see Marlowe kicking his heels in joy at the end of most of
Chandler's stories.

Maybe not. But he IS a man who keeps his self-respect and his pride. He IS a "suffers no man's insolence without a due and dispassionate revenge." When the mob figure in the novel did nothing more than call Marlowe "cheapie," Marlowe punched him out. When the counterpart character in the film broke his mistress's nose with a Coke bottle, Gould just looked horrified and barely uttered a word of protest. Gould spends virtually the whole movie suffering the insolence of just about every other character in the film, and the closest he comes to a due and dispassionate revenge is murdering an unarmed man at the end.

Get used to it, Terrill. Chandler's Marlowe is a round hole, and there's just no way you'll get the round peg that is Gould's characterization to fit, and certainly no way you'll ever convince me that you have.

> I think the last scene of THE SEVEN SAMURAI sums up the knight
errant philosophy perfectly. Two samurai look at the villagers they have saved, who are now enjoying their freedom from the bandits who oppressed them, then they look on the hill where four of their dead comrades are buried and one of them remarks that despite winning the overall battle, the villagers are the only winners here. The samurai are, ultimately, the losers. They lost their comrades and now must leave the village because they are not fit to live among the normal citizens. It would be intolerable for both the classes. They are, ultimately, alone in the world.

> And so is Marlowe.

You're really stretching if you think Gould's characterization is in any way comparable to the supremely competent warriors in either Kurasawa's original film or John Struges's remake.

They're alone in the world because they've chosen to be warriors. So has Chandler's Marlowe. Altman's Marlowe has chosen to be a nebbish.

JIM DOHERTY