RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 11 Feb 2007

Jim,

The following paragraph from the review you pointed to sums things up pretty well the diverse reaction to this film:

"If you don't go in expecting Chandler or a straight detective yarn, you may well fall madly in love with this oddball Long Goodbye. Not Altman's "best" or most ambitiously original work, but definitely my favorite."

A corollary to this statement I guess would be if you go in expecting Chandler you may well madly hate this film...

Like Terrill, I don't necessary take Altman thinking of Marlowe as a loser as a negative or an indication that Altman was trying to disparage Chandler's work. Hell, Rockford Files, which I always saw as the heir apparent to Marlowe, had Jimbo pretty much as a loser also, but in a sympathetic way, somewhat endearing way.

--Dave