RARA-AVIS: Re: The Long Goodbye

From: jimdohertyjr ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Feb 2007

Dave,

Re your comment below:

> I haven't seen
> Altman's comments on Chandler, except as paraphrased here, and if you
> have a link to them, I'd be interested.

In an interview at the time of the film's initial release, Altman was quoted as saying, "I see Marlowe the way Chandler saw him, a loser. But a real loser, not the fake winner that Chandler made out of him. A loser all the way."

Since Chandler clearly did NOT see Marlowe as a loser, and since Altman was almost certainly familiar with how Chandler really did feel about his character ("A man fit for adventure . . . He is the hero. He is everything."), his comment, particularly in conjunction with the completed film, makes his contempt for Chandler's creation quite evident.

You can find the quote here:

www.moviejustice.com/vault/index.php?p=getitem&db_id=4&item_id=543

I'm not sure where he originally said it.

JIM DOHERTY