Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Post-Modern Parsley of Pretension

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 10 Feb 2007

In a message dated 2/9/07 11:16:37 AM, matrxtech@yahoo.com writes:

> I think the winks, unless they are the touches of a real master, tend to
> spoil the effect of the
> story. Also, there should not be too many winks. In fact, I manage a
> hardboiled or noir story
> quite well without any winks whatever. Jason Starr doesn´t wink. Richard
> Stark doesn´t wink.
> Hammett didn´t wink.
>
> In film, the winks are even worse, in fact, they can be destructive. After
> all, one has seen
> plenty of the real article not to need any reminders. If the new article
> comes up in quality to
> the real old article, the viewer knows.
>
> Perhaps we should just banish nostalgia, of which the wink is a giveaway
> sign. What good is
> nostalgia? To have the entire past ahead of one? If you will forgive the
> harsh pronouncement,
> I think nostalgia is a sign of decadence. I think history backs me up in
> this harsh
> pronouncement.

BRICK was one big wink. I hated it. KISS KISS BANG BANG is as much a nod to screenwriting and filmmaking as it is to the genre. I loved it.

I believe if noir is to continue to be relevent, it has to evolve and reflect its times. We have authors who do it well on the page. Sadly, there are fewer filmmakers who understand that noir at its core is about desperation, and instead focus solely on stylistic trappings like dark and sinister atmosphere. Or terse, snappy patter.

John Lau