Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The Post-Modern Parsley of Pretension

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 09 Feb 2007

MrT wrote:

"Perhaps we should just banish nostalgia, of which the wink is a giveaway sign. What good is nostalgia? To have the entire past ahead of one? If you will forgive the harsh pronouncement, I think nostalgia is a sign of decadence. I think history backs me up in this harsh pronouncement."

It's certainly a sign of genre exhaustion, at least according to John Cawelti, who wrote a very interesting essay about the stages of a genre. It was anthologized in a film theory anthology I read as an undergrad, I think the one edited by Mast & Cohen, not the one by Nichols.

Ah, this all makes me nostalgic for the pre-nostalgic stage.

Mark