RARA-AVIS: Re: The Post-Modern Parsley of Pretension

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Feb 2007

I think the winks, unless they are the touches of a real master, tend to spoil the effect of the story. Also, there should not be too many winks. In fact, I manage a hardboiled or noir story quite well without any winks whatever. Jason Starr doesn´t wink. Richard Stark doesn´t wink. Hammett didn´t wink.

In film, the winks are even worse, in fact, they can be destructive. After all, one has seen plenty of the real article not to need any reminders. If the new article comes up in quality to the real old article, the viewer knows.

Perhaps we should just banish nostalgia, of which the wink is a giveaway sign. What good is nostalgia? To have the entire past ahead of one? If you will forgive the harsh pronouncement, I think nostalgia is a sign of decadence. I think history backs me up in this harsh pronouncement.

Best,

MrT