Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Panel at LCC

From: knbruen ( knbruen@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Tim Wohlforth <timwohlforth@...> wrote:

> I would like to make an apology on this list for any perceived slight
> to Ken Bruen. That was not my intention. I misspoke. The point I was
> trying to make and will make here is that I feel the connection
> between Ken Bruen, a fine writer from an older generation, and this
> new group of younger writers is important to note. The word "Mentor"
> would have been more appropriate. However, there is another
> interesting side to this relationship. Ken has been able to recognize
> the freshness and potential of these new writers where few others in
> the mystery writing establishment have done so. Others who come to
> mind that have played this mentoring role are Lee Child (particularly
> in helping Cornelia Read) and Gary Phillips (in relation to "street
> lit").
>
> Tim
>
> P.S. If I really work on this misspeaking perhaps I can run for
> President.
>

> On Feb 7, 2007, at 9:52 AM, Donna wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Brian said:
> > >
> > > Megan Abbott, Con Lehane, Edward Wright, and Cornelia Read. If
these
> > > folks are a cross-section of the faces of hard-boiled/noir writing
> > > today, the genre and its legacy are in good hands.
> >
> > Oh, how very well said. I discovered Con Lehane's books a few years
> > ago
> > and have loved them ever since. I recently read Megan Abbott's
first,
> > DIE A LITTLE, and it blew me away. I bought the second one at LCC
> > and if
> > it's anywhere near as good as the first, she will become one of my
top
> > 10 authors. I really loved DIE A LITTLE and haven't stopped raving
> > about
> > it since. Cornelia Read and Edward Wright impressed me on the panel
> > so I
> > went and bought their books. For me, the four authors made that
panel.

> > And I agree there were some excellent, straightforward questions
from
> > the audience which the 4 answered entertainingly and with aplomb.
> > > Not least of these was a reference that I can only assume was
> > > intended to be a joking one by Mr. Wohlforth to Ken Bruen, a
writer
> > > referenced frequently (and positively) on this list. ... I wasn't
> > the
> > > only one in the audience who took it that way.
> > >

> > I also felt the same. I presume it was meant to be a joke, but it
> > didn't
> > come across that way, and I felt it was insulting to Ken - who not
> > only
> > happens to be a wonderful writer who deserves all the accoldes he
gets
> > and more, but who is also a charming, funny, and generous man who is
> > good friend. I'm sure he would not have been upset if he were
> > there, but
> [...]

I dont know who Tim Wohlforth is..........but this snide sniggering remark is beyond my understanding, the Mystery Community I know and love are known for their support and help to each other.........that at 55 years of age, I'm hanging on to young writers is truly hurtful and god knows, I understand humour but personal attacks from somebody who has never met me is thankfully, something I hope I never understand, you wanted to have a shot at me or many shots, then do it to me to my face, not at a conference where i'm not even present..........but you know what, there are many things I could say in response to this but I'm going to practice something that my old age has taught me.........restraint......please God, when you get to 55, you'll have learned some manners and understand that taking cheap shots at other writers is the lowest trick in the book but you probably know everything already, sure sounds like it, you certainly wont be one of the young turks whose coatails I'm clinging on to

Ken Bruen