RARA-AVIS: Max Phillips

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2007

Okay, I think I'd now be considered a Max Phillips fan. I got a copy of Into the Volcano some months ago (after reading Fade to Blonde) and it's been in my TBR pile and I just finished it. Great book! For those on the list who like the Bond and Helm books, this one is a must. It's every bit as good as the best of Fleming. The book is set in 1962 (like Fade to Blonde) and is reminiscent of not only the Bond books, but the Avengers (and a little Cool
& Lam) as well in that it's a team of a man and woman spies. There's lot's of humor, but Phillips never resorts to satire ala Austin Powers. His villain is one to rival Dr. No, Blofeld or Goldfinger.

It was written under his Forrest DeVoe pseudonym and it will soon be followed by a sequel entitled Eye of the Archangel at the end of this month, which I look forward to with much anticipation. At the same time Into the Volcano will released in paperback.

I also am looking forward to Charles' sequel to Little Girl Lost, especially after hearing him interviewed about it. I looks like it's going to be a great year for you guys!

Jeff