RARA-AVIS: Re:Inanity Fare

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2007

Once again, I have to agree with Kevin about the very precious and self-conscious Vanity Fair "tribute" to noir. When empty, soulless posing passes for seemingly authentic despair and ennui it's time to check out another subgenre, hopefully one without cats or New York chic. But I disagree on one point: Kevin's comment that noir wasn't a matter of hats. Not solely, of course. But as the pan and scan movie points out, there's a certain authenticity that the snap-brim can convey on the right head. Alec Baldwin looks like he might actually be in a noir scene. (I don't think he was so bad as Dave Robicheaux, by the way.) But Affleck and Norton seem to have borrowed their dads' toppers and forgot to stuff them with rolled up cardboard.

To end this hat rant, let me call your attention to the movie made from the television series, The Avengers. With a budget of about a hundred million, they apparently didn't think it important to find a lead who looked comfortable wearing a derby. Small point really.

Dick Lochte