Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:The Long Goodbye

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Feb 2007

I get your points, Steve, but this is exactly the essense of the problem. Why does Altman or any film maker make a derivative film and then choose to depart entirely from the original idea? Why not take the idea that was inspired by the original work, call the new detective Milton Pharlow or something and move forward with an original story? The answer is, the producer and/or the director want to glam on to the success of the popular book. So I come to this film having read the book at least four or five times, and I'm not treated to a visual rendition of this story I enjoyed, but to some different story set in a different time frame, with characters I can't even recognize. And I'm expected to be philosophical about this and "enjoy" the film as pure cinema and because Robert Altman directed it. Personally, I think that's rediculous. Hollywood can be as creative as it wants with original screenplays. I wish they'd make a lot more of them. But if they want to leach off the hard work of a writer who's created a huge readership through trial and error, the least that readership can demand is a faithful rendition. Altman's Long Goodbye is tantamount to taking a Harry Potter novel, making Harry 30-years-old, setting the story in modern Texas, and changing Hogwart School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, into a Piggly-Wiggly cashregister training school. Rowling fans would not put up with this and neither should we Chandler fans!

Patrick

____________________________________________________________________________________ Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast with the Yahoo! Search weather shortcut. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/shortcuts/#loc_weather