RARA-AVIS: Re: Bret Halliday

From: jamesreasoner2006 ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 07 Feb 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Moore" <moorich@...> wrote:

  I also think the Shayne novels would have retained more
> favor if they had been in first person. Third Person distances the
> reader from Shayne, who beyond a few habits and attitudes is not that
> fully developed a character.

That's an interesting idea and probably true, but the way Dresser plotted, writing the books in first person might have been difficult. Shayne was usually three plot twists ahead of the other characters (and the reader, in my case) and a lot of his actions that don't make sense at the time would have been harder to justify in first person. Of course they all make sense later.

James Reasoner