RARA-AVIS: Lolita

From: Bill Crider ( macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2007

I read LOLITA when it first came out in a U.S. paperback edition, a Fawcett Crest book, I think. First cousin to a Gold Medal. Unlike Richard Moore, I still have the copy I bought back around 1959, when I was a freshman in college. I bought the book because I thought it was going to be a hot stuff, and I guess it was, but what I remember most was my surprise at discovering what a wonderful novel it was and, most of all, how funny it was. Humor's a very personal thing. Someone once told me that there are two types of people in the world: those who like the Three Stooges and those who don't. I happen to know which group Richard Moore belongs to, and while LOLITA isn't exactly the Stooges, I found it quite funny, even as a kid.

Bill Crider