RARA-AVIS: Re: Movie Marlowe

From: Channing ( filmtroll@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 26 Jan 2007

> <<Clive Owen might be a nice guy, and he's getting critical
> acclaim for his Children of Men, but I
> defy you to tell me if he's ever shown an emotion in a
> movie.>>
>
> The same can be said for Bogart, Powell, Mitchum. Marlowe
> the same.
>
> Jack Bludis
>
> http://www.jackbludis.com
> Shamus nominee for *Shadow of the Dahlia*
> Try "Blondes, Blondes, Blondes" at
> http://www.ThrillingDetective.com

I know you're not suggesting Clive Owen is in the same league as Bogart, Powell, Mitchum. I'll even grant you that Clive showed his noir chops in "Croupier." But there's just something wooden about Clive.

An essential ingredient of what made the Chandler books so good is the acid wit. In The Big Sleep Vivian Sternwood scolds Marlowe when his banter is failing. So I would want a Marlowe that could deliver a one-liner like a pro.

I don't care how good "The Long Goodbye" is supposed to be, Elliott Gould is horribly miscast as Marlowe. He's a light-weight in a heavy-weight role. Gould is a whiny, goofy wimp, not a hard-boiled tough guy that could take a punch, or a sap to the head.

Channing