RARA-AVIS: Re:Carroll John Daly

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Jan 2007

JB,

Re your question below:

"Ok. I should have asked,Does anyone like, Carroll John Daly,and why? Do you know of any sites,with info,on him?"

In small doses, I find I can enjoy him. Perhaps that's why I like his short stories better than his novels.

His style is, well, style-less. His plots are wildly melodramatic to the point of being comedic.

But he's got a definite pace.

It's sometimes interesting to read a lesser writer to see the influence he had on later, more gifted writers who, for unknown reasons, liked them. Fanny Burney, for example, is hard to read these days, but her influence on the far more gifted Jane Asten is evident. In the mystery field, S.S. Van Dine is terrible, but the influence he had on the later, far better Ellery Queen is obvious.

In our particular sub-genre, Daly's a pioneer, so he's interesting from that perspective, if no other. But he also was the greatest single influence on a far better writer, the late, great Mickey Spillane, and, as with Burney and Van Dine, the influence is clear.

You can find several of his books and stories available as e-books here:

http://www.vintagelibrary.com

You can get information on his characters here:

http://www.thrillingdetective.com

JIM DOHERTY

____________________________________________________________________________________ Need Mail bonding? Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users. http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396546091