RARA-AVIS: Re: Shark-Infested Custard

From: keithlogan2002 ( keith@globetrotter.net)
Date: 23 Jan 2007

 <bradstevens22@...> wrote:

> PICK UP is an astonishing literary experiment - the final lines
> reveal that you weren't reading the book you thought you were
>reading.

It is indeed that and more. PICK UP must be one of the most nihilistic, dark reads ever. I struggled to get through, not because it was badly written or uninteresting (quite the opposite, in fact) but more due to the absolute bleakness that pervades throughout. That those final lines almost force you to immediately reread the book with a whole new perspective make this one of Willeford's finest.

One of the few times that I have been glad a novel was not very lengthy! Oh, and I recall being so excited upon purchasing the Underwood-Miller hardcover of SHARK-INFESTED CUSTARD, then being so disappointed by the book. Way down in the pantheon, by my rating.

Keith Logan