RARA-AVIS: Blonde on the Street Corner

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2007

For Goodis month I read Blonde on the Street Corner. Although noirish, it's not a crime novel and it's set during the Depression, in 1936 to be exact. It was interesting, but not anywhere near Goodis' best, but would definitely be appealling to hardcore fans. The dichotomy I always find in his novels between the devil woman and angel girl was certainly there, as well as the whole gutter milieu.

I also picked up Lee Server's excellent book, Over My Dead Body this week, which has a great photo of Goodis, flanked by Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall on the fly leaf.

Jeff