RARA-AVIS: on Hollywood ethnic cleansing

From: davividavid ( davividavid@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jan 2007

Just finished Martin Goldsmith's _Detour_. Along with expunging the Sue Harvey/Hollywood sub-plot, all of the sex, Haskell's weed habit, and some of the ambiguity about the second crime, Goldsmith & Ulmer interestingly decided to remove from the novel the main character's Jewishness. Al Roberts in the film was Alex Roth in the novel, stage name for Rothenberg. It reminded me of Nick Charles losing his Greek name, Charalambides, in the Thin Man films, and got me to wondering how many other characters have lost their ethnicity in the transfer from page to screen in noir adaptations.