RARA-AVIS: Re:College Course Credit for Detective Fiction

From: BookBitch ( BookBitch@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2007

Bill Harker wrote:

>>Does anyone on the list keep track of the colleges
(U.S. and abroad) that offer courses for credit in detective-fiction (hard-boiled or not)? Or, do you know of such a list and where I might find it? This would include courses that teach one *how* to write detective/horror/ suspense/ thriller fiction (I've found one so far).>>

Florida Atlantic University offers a class called Detective Fiction and it depends on who's teaching it how it is offered. I took it last semester and it was hard boiled. It's not offered every semester however, maybe once every year or two.

I don't know for sure but I think that Florida International University offers writing classes in mystery. The head of the creative writing program is James W. Hall and a couple of mystery writing alumni are Christine Kling and Dennis Lehane.

Cheers, Stacy

    I am the BookBitch www.bookbitch.com
    Win a free copy of PLUM LOVIN': A Stephanie Plum Between-the-Numbers Novel by Janet Evanovich or lots of other great books!