RARA-AVIS: Real-Life Bank Robber

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 16 Jan 2007

Those of you interested in real-life bank robbers might find Paddy Mitchell's life interesting. He had a rule that no one gets hurt, and escaped prison twice.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070116.OBMITCHELL16/TPStory/Obituaries

The story of his hospital escape was recounted somewhat differently in another obit yesterday, which said that his pals were driving the ambulance and sent the cops on a wild-goose chase.

Mitchell wrote an autobiography, The Bank Robber's Life: The Life and Fast Times of Patrick Mitchell.

His partner, Stephen Reid, wrote Jackrabbit Parole, which is a novel, but very autobiographical. I read that a few years ago. It was pretty good. (He's married to poet Susan Musgrave; they got married while he was still in prison.)

That's our Canadian content for today, I guess

Karin