Re: RARA-AVIS: Shark-Infested Custard

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 15 Jan 2007

Willeford wrote such a variety of things. You can be a huge Willeford fan but hate certain novels... novels which other fans laud. I love THE DIFFERENCE, PICK-UP, SHARK-INFESTED CUSTARD... and actually nearly all of his stuff from THE MACHINE IN WARD ELEVEN to the Hoke novels, but I just don't go for COCKFIGHTER at all. I was pretty luke- warm about THE BURNT ORANGE HERESY as well.

Charlie Williams.

-------- charliewilliams.net

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> miker,
>
> Although I know some think this is his masterpiece (wasn't it also
> Willeford's favorite of his own work?), it was a bit of a
disappointment
> for me, too (although it was better than Kiss Your Ass Goodbye, a
> portion previously released on its own). Same with The Difference,
the
> only Willeford I've ever put down in the middle, though I did come
back
> to it.
>
> I'm with you that Burnt Orange Heresy is his masterpiece. Amazing
book.
> You might want to try Black Mass of Brother Springer and Woman
Chaser,