RARA-AVIS: Re:The Long Goodbye

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jan 2007

Colin,

Re your questions below:

"Has anyone else updated classic hardboiled/noir? I would certainly love to see The Continental Op operating today and many of Jim Thompson's characters would be much more at home in today's world."

Three years before TLG, Chandler's 1949 novel, THE LITTLE SISTER, was made into a film called MARLOWE, starring James Garner in the title role.

It was set in 1969, and, though it was far more faithful to the original than Altman's film, it did update a lot of the details. Hence, the big-screen comedienne of the nove became the star of a top-rated sitcom, and the studio exec who hire Marlowe becomes a network exec. The two hoods who come to Marlowe's office to threaten him become Bruce Lee.

"I enjoyed the movie, though I must admit I didn't really think Elliot Gould was Phillip Marlowe and the film was more Robert Altman than Raymond Chandler. I haven't studied the film or criticism of it at all and assume (I'd love to know from them that was there) it caused something of an outcry from Chandler fans when it came out."

It still does cause outcries from Chandler fans, as well it should, since it's a piece of crap that has so little reason to exist that, had Altman's parents known that conceiving Robert Altman would eventually result in his version TLG being put on film, they would have remained celibate.

JIM DOHERTY

____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited